Monday, December 3, 2007

Deluge

I was working through the night at the office on Thursday into Friday; when I walked outside for the first time at 3:30 on Friday afternoon, I was shocked: it was raining. Someone told me that it had been pouring for like 18 hours. There were mudslides, there was flooding, massive car pile-ups on the 10 and 134 -- and I missed it all. What the f*ck?

Anyhow, the story of the rains abounds with ironies. Because of all the fires that ravaged the region due to a lack of rain in our historic drought, the fire-ravaged hills are now more vulnerable to mudslides when it rains too much. So over the last few days, people who had to evacuate their homes a few weeks ago because of the fires (caused in part by the long-standing lack of rain), had to evacuate their houses again because of the rain.

L.A. -- it really is the promise land.

No comments: